Saturday, January 21, 2017

#WhoIsMoGeSu


"Books should draw us in. The characters should feel familiar. The story should be relatable. You should be able to clearly envision the virtual picture." MoGeSu



Hey Y'all Hey!

I wanted to give you some insight as to who I am as the author MoGeSu. That's funny because I'm just slowly getting to know her myself. You will often hear me talk about my confusion as to how I became a writer. When doing interviews people were asking just as many questions about me personally as they were about my novel so I decided to dig a little deeper. I wanted to search for the clues that I'd obviously missed over the course of my lifetime.

I won't bore you by going over them all but my findings came back to me in a flood of memories. As an elementary school child I can remember being in bed scared to go to sleep at night. My daddy stayed awake late and that gave me some sense of security. Coming from a two parent home greatly influenced me. Because of this I knew that I wanted a husband by my side and a baby in my arms when I grew up. Lying in bed waiting for sleep to find me I'd picture my husband and baby right there with me. I realize now this is where my storytelling began.

Staring into the darkness as my eyelids got heavy I could clearly see my fantasy husband and I interacting with each other and spending time with our new baby in new places and different situations. I was happy with what I thought was a glimpse into my future. I was always content enough to go fast asleep.

On into middle school I had enough real life events going on to overshadow the visions of my little nighttime fantasy family. My school work load was heavier, I talked on the phone to my friends constantly, my nephew had just been born and I had more responsibilities around the house. All of that was more than enough to keep me busy so when it was bedtime I passed out when my head hit the pillow!! It was actually my seventh grade teacher who made sure my storytelling continued to flourish. My creative writing stories in her class weren't fiction though, so it really didn't hold my attention much.

Digging deep into my memory I see now that high school is really when my storytelling was taken to the next level. Why wouldn't it? I was a teenager noticing boys in a different light. In elementary school the boys ran around hitting girls, pulling our hair and breaking our pencils. In middle school boys kept to themselves and girls did the same. In high school boys became "real" all of a sudden. They actually talked to the girls and asked them out!!

I was told when I was in tenth grade that if I wasn't having sex, most of the guys, no longer boys, wouldn't even give me a second thought. That being said I continued watch from afar and just "imagine" what true love would be like. Storytelling became such a big part of my life that I actually had a friend that I began sharing stories with. We were always on the phone anyway so I figured why not!

After a while my friend began storytelling to me and I'd listen intently. Soon listening is all I ever wanted to do. I don't know if she realized it but while she told the story the scenes would be playing in my head like a movie. Between her words and my imagination the stories I saw played out in my head were captivating.

Life after high school is a reality check to say the least. Friends go separate ways, you change jobs a million times, you fall in love just to get hurt then do it all over again and then eventually you forget all the old childhood memories because you are busy making new adult ones.

Growing up happened. Different jobs happened. A baby happened. It's not hard to understand how and why storytelling became a nonexistent part of my life but when something is meant for you, well, its not just gonna go away. My novel "Dreams Really Do Come True" came to me in countless dreams while I was trying to sleep. I ignored it so it got louder. It finally got so loud that I could barely function anymore at any time of the day. I got out of bed at three in the morning since I couldn't sleep anyway and I got to writing. I didn't stop until the whole novel was done.

I'd forgotten about storytelling so it reminded me how it felt to be away from reality, even for a little while. I write my books how I like to read my books. I feel that they should be an escape. I'm a hopeless romantic so I want to read about the stories that outline the relationship goals that someday I will have. I like books that remind me of what all is in store.

Being an author writing just makes me feel better so in addition to the Sage Mentoring Moments blog talk radio show I also write short stories for THRIVE Magazine. I'll post those stories on this blog as well. Be sure to check it out. Also if you would like to purchase my novels the Amazon link is below. I thank you in advance for your support!!

Until next time you guys, be on the lookout for more from your girl MoGeSu!!

www.blogtalkradio.com/SageNetwork

www.facebook.com/monicamogesu.sumter.1

www.facebook.com/author.mogesu

www.amazon.com/author/mogesu

www.author-mogesu.blogspot.com

www.mogesu.blogspot.com

InstaGram & Twitter: Author.MoGeSu





No comments:

Post a Comment